Background: Majority of colorectal neoplasms are adenocarcinomas but there is a small percentage of tumors from other histological cell lines
Method: One thousand one hundred patients who were applied surgical treatment due to colorectal cancer at general surgical clinic between years of 2010-2020 were examined. Patients have been grouped as Diffuse large b cell lymphoma (DLBCL) (group1), Malignant melanoma (group2), Medullary carcinoma (group3), Neuroendocrine tumor (group4) and they were included in the study in this way. In the groups,clinicopathological data of patients and their survival periods have been compared.
Results: Twenty patients are included in our study: Group 1 was composed of 5, Group 2 was composed of 4, Group 3 was composed of 3, and Group 4 was composed of 8 patients. Emergency application rate (60%) was higher in Group 1 (p: 0.004). A verage age was above 50 in 4 groups and there was no difference between groups (p:0,966).Tumor diameter was on average (cm)(8 vs 6,55 vs 5,4 vs 3,75 p:0,073) in the groups, The number of lymph nodes dissected were (13 vs 14.5 vs 19 vs 19 p:0.373) The number of metastatic lymph nodes were ( 0 vs 1.5 vs 0 vs 0.5 p:0.188). Survival was significantly shorter in the malignant melanoma group, the longest survival was in the neuroendocrine tumor group (15.625vs8.5vs20 vs 40.857 p:0.001)
Conclusions: Although clinicopathological features and postoperative follow-up results were similar, there were differences in survival among patients. Maligant melanoma histopathological type had a worse prognosis than other tumors
- Cheng L, Eng C, Nieman LZ, Kapadia AS, Du XL. Trends in colorectal cancer incidence by anatomic site and disease stage in the United States from 1976 to 2005. Am J Clin Oncol. 2011;34(6):573-580.doi: 10.1097/COC.0b013e3181fe41ed.
- Siegel RL, Miller KD, Jemal A. Cancer statistics, 2018. CA Cancer J Clin. 2018;68(1):7-30.doi: 10.3322/caac.21442.
- SEER.cancer.gov [pa´gina en Internet]. Bethesda.Maryland: US National Institutes of Health. 2013.
- Terada T. Histopathologic study of the rectum in 1,464 consecutive rectal specimens in a single Japanese hospital: II. malignant lesions. Int J Clin Exp Pathol. 2013;6(3):385-394. PMID: 23412998.
- Errasti Alustiza J, Espín Basany E, Reina Duarte A. Rare tumors of the rectum. Narrative review. Cir Esp. 2014;92(9):579-588.doi: 10.1016/j.ciresp.2013.06.019. PMID: 24629769.
- Kang H, O'Connell JB, Leonardi MJ, Maggard MA, McGory ML, Ko CY, et al. Rare tumors of the colon and rectum: a national review. Int J Colorectal Dis. 2007;22(2):183-189.doi: 10.1007/s00384-006-0145-2. PMID: 16845516.
- Cuffy M, Abir F, Longo WE. Management of less common tumors of the colon, rectum, and anus. Clin Colorectal Cancer. 2006;5(5):327-337.doi: 10.3816/CCC.2006.n.002 . PMID: 16512991.
- SayhanSevil, KAHRAMAN, Dudu Solakoglu. Pathologic Features of Colorectal Carcinomas. In: Colon Polyps and Colorectal Cancer. Springer Cham.2021:455-480.
- Dere Y , Dere Ö , Ekmekçi S , Çelik S , İlhan Çelik Ö , Nazlı O, et al . Kolorektal Karsinomlardaki Histopatolojik Özellikler. MMJ. 2018; 5(2): 1-4.
- Mlecnik B, Tosolini M, Kirilovsky A, Berger A, Bindea G, Meatchi T, Bruneval P, Trajanoski Z, Fridman WH, Pagès F, Galon J,et al. Histopathologic-based prognostic factors of colorectal cancers are associated with the state of the local immune reaction. J Clin Oncol. 2011;29(6):610-618.doi: 10.1200/JCO.2010.30.5425 . PMID: 21245428.
- Shields CJ, Tiret E, Winter DC. Carcinoid tumors of the rectum. A multi-institutional international collaboration Ann Surg. 2010;252:750–5.doi: 10.1097/SLA.0b013e3181fb8df6 . PMID: 21037430.
- Pavel M, Baudin E, Couvelard A, Krenning E, O¨ berg K Steinmu¨ ller T, et al. ENETS consensus guidelines for de management of patients with liver metastases fro digestive neuroendocrine neoplasms of foregut, midgut, hingut, and unknown primary. neuroendocrinology. 2012;95:157–76.doi: 10.1159/000335597.
- Fan CW, Changchien Cr, Wang JY, Chen JS, Hsu KC, Tang R, et al. Primary colorectallymphoma.DisColonRectum.2005;43:1277-1282.doi:10.1007/BF02237436.
- N. Doolabh, T. Anthony, C. Simmang, S. Bieligk, E. Lee, P. Huber, R. Hughes, et al. Primary colonic lymphoma. J Surg Oncol 2000; 74: 257-262.doi: 10.4251/wjgo.v3.i1.14. PMID: 21267399.
- Barbaryan A, Ali AM, Kwatra SG, et al. Primary diffuse large B-cell lymphoma of the ascending colon. Rare Tumors. 2013;5(2):85-88.doi: 10.4081/rt.2013.e23. PMID: 23888223.
- Haddad I, El Kurdi B, El Iskandarani M, Babar S, Young M. Primary Diffuse Large B-cell Lymphoma of the Sigmoid Colon. Cureus. 2019;11(6):e5048.doi: 10.7759/cureus.5048
- Thirunavukarasu P, Sathaiah M, Singla S, Sukumar S, Karunamurthy A, Kenneth K.W. Lee, Zeh H, . Kane KM,Bartlett DL,et al. Medullary carcinoma of the large intestine: a population based analysis. Int J Oncol 2010;37:901-7.doi: 10.3892/ijo_00000741. PMID: 20811712
- Knox RD, Luey N, Sioson L, Kedziora A, Clarkson A, Watson N, Toon CW, Cussigh C, Pincott S, Pillinger S, Salama Y, Evans J, Percy J, Schnitzler M, Engel A, Gill AJ, et al. Medullary colorectal carcinoma revisited: a clinical and pathological study of 102 cases. Ann Surg Oncol. 2015;22:2988-96.
- Khalid U, Saleem T, Imam AM, Khan MR. Pathogenesis, diagnosis and management of primary melanoma of the colon. World J Surg Oncol. 2011;9:14.
- Kelly P, Zagars GK, Cormier JN, Ross MI, Guadagnolo AB.Sphincter-Sparing Local Excision and Hypofractionated Radiation Therapy for Anorectal Melanoma. Cancer 2011;117:4747–4755
- Row D, Weiser MR. Anorectal melanoma. Clin Colon Rectal Surg. 2009;22(2):120-126.doi: 10.1055/s-0029-1223844 . PMID: 20436837
- Yeh J J, Weiser M R, Shia J, Hwu W J. Response of stage IV anal mucosal melanoma to chemotherapy. Lancet Oncol. 2005;6(6):438–439.doi: 10.1016/S1470-2045(05)70212-6. PMID: 15925823