Introduction: Since December 2019, a new type of pneumonia named coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) has been reported in Wuhan, Hubei province, China. At present, there are no relevant reports on cases of COVID-19 and comorbid pulmonary tuberculosis. We herein report a case of a patient with COVID-19 and comorbid pulmonary tuberculosis.
Case Presentation: A 47-year-old female patient with COVID-19 positive pharyngeal swabs. She did not have fever, coughing or breathing difficulties. The patient diagnosed as COVID-19, and pulmonary tuberculosis based on the patient's epidemiological history, routine blood test, imaging findings, and COVID-19 nucleic acid test results. Contact and droplet precautions were implemented. Antiviral treatment, anti-tuberculosis treatment, and liver protection treatment were given. The patient has not complained of discomfort, and her condition is stable.
Conclusions: COVID-19 and comorbid tuberculosis is suspected, epidemiological history, clinical presentation, laboratory tests, and imaging examinations must be combined to make a comprehensive diagnosis and prompt quarantine and treatment measures should be implemented.
- Chen N, Zhou M, Dong X, Qu J, Gong F, Han Y, et al. Epidemiological and clinical characteristics of 99 cases of 2019 novel coronavirus pneumonia in Wuhan, China: a descriptive study. Lancet. 2020;395(10223):507-13. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(20)30211-7. [PubMed: 32007143].
- Zhu N, Zhang D, Wang W, Li X, Yang B, Song J, et al. A novel coronavirus from patients with pneumonia in China, 2019. N Engl J Med. 2020;382(8):727-33. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa2001017. [PubMed: 31978945].
- Huang C, Wang Y, Li X, Ren L, Zhao J, Hu Y, et al. Clinical features of patients infected with 2019 novel coronavirus in Wuhan, China. Lancet. 2020;395(10223):497-506. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(20)30183-5. [PubMed: 31986264].
- Shi HS, Han XY, Fan YQ, Liang B, Yang F, Han P, et al. Clinical characteristics and imaging presentation of novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) pneumonia. J Clin Radiol. 2020;In Press. doi: 10.13437/j.cnki.jcr.20200206.002.
- Corman VM, Landt O, Kaiser M, Molenkamp R, Meijer A, Chu DK, et al. Detection of 2019 novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) by real-time RT-PCR. Euro Surveill. 2020;25(3):200045. doi: 10.2807/1560-7917.ES.2020.25.3.2000045. [PubMed: 31992387].
- Jin YH, Cai L, Cheng ZS, Cheng H, Deng T, Fan YP, et al. A rapid advice guideline for the diagnosis and treatment of 2019 novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) infected pneumonia (standard version). Mil Med Res. 2020;7(1):4. doi: 10.1186/s40779-020-0233-6. [PubMed: 32029004].
- Liu QY, Wang XL. Targeted drug research strategy for novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV). Acta Pharm Sin. 2020;55(02):181-8. doi: 10.16438/j.0513-4870.2020-0106.
- Li H, Tan XC, Jiang D, Hao YM, Zhang YJ, Fang XQ, et al. Research progress on coronavirus and drugs for treatment. Chin Pharm J. 2020;In Press.
- Chen W, Zhang CY, Zhu Y, Zhang YH, You LB, Wu BS, et al. Comparison of viral nucleic acid detection in throat swabs and sputum samples from 4 cases of new coronavirus infection. Chin J Zoonoses. 2020;In Press.